Sunday, October 14, 2007

Acts of the Prudent

I've been doing some research on some very interesting qualities (traits) and ways of operating in life (M.O.). The first one that I feel led toward is becoming more "prudent". (Other words bubbling through my heart and mind at this time are: "scarcity" - the value of it in relationships; diligence; and the old Hebrew word, "shalom".)

The prudent person,
Overlooks an insult,
Keeps their knowledge to themselves,
Acts out of knowledge (which are established facts),
Gives thought to their ways (and steps),
Is crowned with knowledge,
Takes refuge in the sight of danger,
Keeps quiet in times of trouble, and
Heeds correction.

In my reading of wisdom literature, it seems that there is another word linked with "the prudent," but it is its opposite.

The simple require prudence.

The "simple" person:
Believes anything,
They inherit folly, and
Keep going (in the face of danger) and suffer for it.

Proverbs 8:5 directs the simple... "You who are simple, gain prudence."

One opposite I read of for prudence was rashness. Does this mean that the simple (that are described here) are rash, and act without care? I think so.

No comments: