Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Play it out...

It seems to me that one of the skills of life is to know when to simply let a situation play itself out.

I mean, sometimes things happen, quite external to our own influence, and how do we deal with it--often it's a case of 'getting in the way' of progress by foisting our opinion or by acting in some bold (but often later found foolish) way.

Whilst driving home yesterday I felt compelled to scribble down,
"Whatever the situation in life, SIMPLY play it out...".

I have found so many times in my life that by simply waiting and watching, things have often worked out far better than they would have had I intervened. It's at these times I have often thought, "Wow, I didn't even need to do anything!"

What I have done in those situations is exercise some patience and humility to know that I don't know it all. It is humbling to know the countless times I haven't exercised this sort of divine foresight, and I think that is why it is great when it does work. It really does work!

It isn't just the virtues of patience and humility, but also the quality of prudence.

I think I'm learning to be more prudent, one day at a time.

No comments: