Saturday, February 23, 2008

Get over yourself!

I find it so frustrating to encounter people who cannot 'get over themselves.'
s
Let me get to the point. I find that some people are so 'into themselves' they talk incessantly about either how good they are, or about their favourite things - as if your things never mattered. Whatever you might have to contribute to the conversation is "obviously" not as important, relevant or worthy... it's all about them, their work, their achievements, their egos!
s
Sounds like I have a chip on my shoulder doesn't it? I guess I do. I struggle for the main part trying to rationalise in my own mind how supposedly mature people/Christians do this. Especially Christians! How they bring discredit and dishonour to the name of the Lord Jesus Christ! Yet, they refuse to see it... does this remind you of a deadly sin? Yes, it's pride. It's arrogance and purposeful ignorance; like the proverbial fool, they refuse to learn. They can't possibly learn any more than the limited amount they have because they're "full" already. No more room in the Inn!
s
I'm giving my life in service of character growth and development. The major benefactor here is of course, me. Yet, it's others I wish to serve and learn from.
s
I will continue patiently enduring these people who are pumped full of pride. It's every Christ-seeking person's responsibility to do this. It's not as if I deserve a medal for this. It's just service out of love and worship of the Lord, my God. I want God's way, no matter the pain that this desire brings me personally. I don't care. There are times when perhaps God might bring in a real test (as he is inclined to do!) and that will challenge me; these words are fully open to the test... can I succeed by maintaining my diligence and vigilance? Time will tell. As Jesus says in Matthew 11:19... For me at least, this is probably the most compelling Scripture passage around Wisdom:
s
"But wisdom is proved right by her actions."
s
Jesus is saying in effect, wisdom is truth. The opposite is also true. Whatever happens, however people act and behave, comes essentially from the heart of truth. We do selfish and evil things because our hearts are selfish and evil.
s
Why do we need God? John 3:19 answers this question: "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness..."
s
Can anyone KNOW Christ yet not be compelled to utterly smash the sin of pride in themselves? I don't think so. It's not my experience. Being born again means you've seen the Light once and for all and you'll never ever be the same... praise be to God!
s
You cannot stay as you are and KNOW Christ. When you know Christ, you can't continue in your complacency. I look at many people and how they behave and wonder why they don't suddenly cringe when they are full of pride... full of themselves. I know that when it surfaces in me, it makes me cringe basically every time and I don't have the option of repenting or not. I lose my peace, my shalom, and I just must sort it out, say sorry, and move on without the chip of pride. It's the only way back to life, and I can't handle my life without the life of Christ.
s
I'll never be perfect, thank goodness. I know that by conveying my true thoughts like this will have some people accuse me (at least mentally) of being full of pride myself. I know differently and I believe God does too.
s
© Steve J. Wickham, 2008. All rights reserved Worldwide.

No comments: