Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Narrow Way to the Divine Romance

Nathan Tasker impressed me from the very first time I saw him perform. His lyrics and singing together with his slick guitar work punctuated his inter-song commentary and insights on things spiritual. His 2003 Album, A Look Inside, is a classic piece in my view; there are not many CDs in my collection that I love all the tracks on--Nathan’s is a notable, pleasing exception.

One such song, rich in theology, is Narrow, a song obviously inspired by Matthew 7:13-14 where Jesus during his Sermon on the Mount says:

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” (TNIV)

The narrow gate and way... the gate and road are of course analogous to the journey of life i.e. our decision making. The vast majority make the easy decisions of live now, pay later. The narrow way is rare, especially in this ‘instant age.’ But, herein lays the key!

In the lonely undertakings of the narrow way there is a wondrous surprise in store for us who are willing to journey with Jesus. When it “is a hard and narrow way that leads through dying and dark places, have we not suddenly seen in the narrowness the breadth, in the dying the living, and in him, who seems to make living so hard, the great liberator?”[1]

The lyrics I love in Narrow go as follows:

“Well I must admit this world
Often tempts my fallen eyes
And I fall in love with all
My earthly home provides
But I make this vow and decision
To get lost in divine romance
And at times I forsake my first love
But he woos my heart again,
Cause he’s the God of second chance.”[2]

Anyone who’s experienced the grace of God knows what is meant by the term, “He’s the God of second chance,” forgiving all that we’ve put up against him.

Yet, in getting the second chance we also give him (God) the second chance. We sacrifice the worldly for the divine and know a much better strain of life than a shallow worldliness can every hope to provide. But it takes faith to throw away what looks attractive.

“The world and the desires it causes are disappearing. But if we obey God, we will live forever.”
–1 John 2:17 (CEV).

God is the narrow way to where I belong. He is home.

Copyright © 2009, S. J. Wickham. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
s
ENDNOTES:
[1] Helmut Thielicke, Life Can Begin Again: Sermons from the Sermon on the Mount, trans. John W. Doberstein (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1963), p. 182.
[2] Courtesy of Cross-Word Music Pty Ltd and Nathan Tasker Music: www.nathantasker.com

No comments: