Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Praising the Giver of Life



It’s with a serendipitous delight that I’m occasionally woken with an idea, a concept, a poem, or even a song to write on. But recently, not only was I given a choral exhortation, but the melody came with it, also.
I got up literally singing it.
So well was that entrenched within me that I hardly needed to grab a pen to write it down. But I was more concerned with remembering the melody. I needn’t have worried. God’s Spirit ushered it through me, unconsciously, as I found myself much later that day, humming alone, thinking, “What’s that tune?”
So I praise my Giver of Life, for the untold and unexpected gifts of his Spirit.
Singing a Song of Praise For God’s Role in Our Lives
Here is the song:
“Giver of Life”
The Lord,
Gives me wisdom and love,
Power and meaning,
To live every day of my life,
He’s my Majesty of being,
Power for seeing,
The Lord, the Giver of Life.
Waking thoughts and heartfelt urges,
Whatever they may be,
Whether peace-lit yawns or groaning surges,
Wisdom’s given us to see.
You’ve woken me today, Lord,
Another day afresh,
Such that I’d find ways,
For you to be adored.
Companions for life you’ve given,
And I’m certainly thankful for these,
But to you I’m passionately driven,
My Companion of companions to please.
Choruses:
He gives me wisdom and love,
Power and meaning,
To live every day of my life,
He’s my Majesty of being,
Power for seeing,
The Lord, the Giver of Life.
He gives me blessing and hope,
His gifts for serving,
So I can give all of my life,
He gives my life its scope,
Strength to cope,
The Lord, the Giver of Life.
He gives me courage and desire,
Grace and passion,
To understand all of my life,
His Spirit’s a fire,
Searching me to enquire,
The Lord, the Giver of Life.
***
The Giver of Life doesn’t just give us our lives. No, we are blessed with life, and life abundant, in so many ways.
God gives us wisdom when we ask him for it (James 1:5) and he showers us with love all the time—in exact accordance with our need. In our relationship with this Lord, we have power from his Spirit and meaning for life: hope, no less.
The Lord is our Majesty of being: we are made in God’s image. We are heirs of the Promise. These are no small things! Through the uniqueness of our standing with God, and due our surrender in following Jesus, we are granted the power to see as God sees. Why on Earth would we want to go our own way?
I’ve hardly scratched the surface. The Lord is the Giver of Life.
© 2013 S. J. Wickham.
Note: I’m dedicating this song for further development through gifted musicians, for use, and ultimately, ownership, to my local church—Lakeside Baptist Church, Perth, Western Australia.

No comments: