Sunday, January 27, 2013

Prayer of Joy, Wonder and Thankfulness

The longest times of waiting precede the highest times of joy, wonder, and thankfulness in God’s faithfulness, resplendent in the delivery of what was always hoped for.
This is my prayer today:
My Father in Heaven,
You have journeyed with me from days before my birth, knitting me together in my mother’s womb. You have seen the worst of my sin, but I have never been forsaken. You have been patient with me even when I have been impatient with myself. Your Grace upholds me and delivers me life and the opportunity at abundance.
I confess before you, O Lord, that I am unworthy without Christ; that if not for your Son’s sacrifice I would be the lowest of low. Yet, because of the Messiah’s sacrifice, and because you saw fit to raise him, I live. This salvation is real; it’s life-transforming, and I love you for it. I confess before you, O Lord, as you well know, my patience has been stretched, and sometimes beyond my capacity to cope, but you have helped me as I have relied on your abounding strength. I confess my weakness, but you know that already. Still, you are blessed that I know; that I understand; that I do not deny it.
There are no words to describe how thankful I feel, and the joy in my heart, this very day. I cried out to you and you answered me in this way; a perfect scenario in order to serve you and your blessed church. I am so thankful that serving brings me joy, and this is not of me; this miracle you have moulded into my heart is a miracle of you. I love you that you have saved me from myself. And I am therefore thrilled in awe and wonder at how powerful and sweeping your Grace is. You have given me a place to belong, so that I might help others to feel they belong. This is a beautifully urgent purpose you have thrust into my heart. It is becoming my very being.
I ask you most humbly, O God, to give me the courage to serve and to lead well, with discernment. Give me the grace to support my senior; help me learn from him; help me understand exactly what it is I can do to support him. Give me, O Lord, the capacities and wherewithal to serve the church, each member and each attender, that each may grow to be more like you; to say “yes” to Jesus more and more, bringing glory to you. Above all, my God, give me the ability and tenacious desire to do this thing below... to:
“Pray without ceasing.”
— 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NRSV)
I am praying all believe things in the Name above All Names, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Jesus. AMEN.
© 2013 S. J. Wickham.




No comments: