Sunday, September 29, 2013

Praying Psalm 91 – Assured of God’s Shelter

Now, as I live in the shelter of, You, the Most High, Lord,
As I’m to be known to abide in the safety of Your shadow,
I will say to, You, the Lord,
“You are my safe haven and my citadel;
You are my God, in whom I totally trust – I will not trust in idols.”
For You will deliver me from the traps of violators
And from the deadly pandemic as well;
You will cover me with Your blanket of security,
Under Your wings I will find asylum;
Your faithfulness is my shield and armour of all kinds, Lord.
I will not fear many varietals of terror by night,
Or the arrows that fly my way by day,
Or, for that matter, the epidemic that broods sinisterly in darkness,
Or the destruction that cuts the fearful low in broad daylight.
Many hundreds I may see fall at my side, Lord,
Ten thousand who are near the tender grasp of Your right hand,
Who choose not Your way.
But, in faith, I know evil will not come near me to dissuade me.
I will look aghast with my own eyes
And see them sentenced, the wicked, who are against You, Lord.
Because I have made, You, the Lord, my refuge,
The Most High my dwelling place,
No evil shall befall me inevitably,
No scourge will infect my tent.
For I know You command Your angels concerning me
And you guard me in all my ways absolutely.
On the angel’s hands they will bear me up and uphold me,
So that I will not dash my foot against even a pebble.
I may even tread on the lion and the adder,
The strong lion and the cobra I will trample under foot.
You say to me, “Those who love me, I will deliver;
I will protect those who know and revere my name.
When they call to me, I will answer them;
I will be with them in trouble,
I will rescue them and honour them.
With long life I will satisfy them,
And I will show them my salvation.”
I believe You, Lord. I will always believe You, Lord.
***
Our Comfort. Our Serenity. Our Sanctuary. God has promised us a refuge of eternal measure in himself. Whenever we hold fast to the Lord we gain something we can never lose by giving up what we can never keep. We gain access to our souls. Seeking the face of God gains for us everything that ever mattered.
© 2013 S. J. Wickham.



No comments: