Tuesday, December 9, 2014

God Loves Us Though We’re Flawed

I often get hurt when I feel that I’m being ignored,
Then God reminds me, He loves me though I’m flawed.
Sometimes, in my weakness, I want people to applaud,
Then God reminds me, He loves me though I’m flawed.
My pride can be an issue, especially when I’ve just soared,
Then God reminds me, He loves me though I’m flawed.
I still so very much forget about my focus for the LORD,
Then God reminds me, He loves me though I’m flawed.
Even as I read these flaws, I feel just like a fraud.
Then God reminds me, He loves me though I’m flawed.
As I reflect on how God’s grace loves me I’m so very, very awed,
Because I know God loves me even though I’m flawed.
***
What a wonderful life it is when we consider the expansive truth; God loves us though, and maybe especially because, we are flawed.
When all the pressure of living the perfect life is taken away, then we may truly soar, knowing that success is now redefined; we are successful because God says we are, despite our being flawed.
Whether we are ‘up’ or ‘down’ matters little; nothing changes in God’s view of who we are. Nothing we do to impress or disparage God works; he feels the same way about us, whatever we do. He loves us no less because we are sinners.
This is not to say that God loves us because we do bad and sad things. We are loved because of who we are and not for what we do or don’t do.
No matter how much I try to give up in life – or how much I try to succeed – I cannot sway God. My trying is commendable in his sight, but it means no difference regarding the stakes of his love. His love never changes.
***
God’s love never changes. We might insist on convincing God that we are especially bad, and not worth a chance, or that we are so good we are better than others, but none of our cajoling works. Our Lord cannot love us more and will not love us less.
To glory in the fact of God’s grace is to sink safely into the velvety cushion of assurance of God’s eternal love for us.
One eternal thing we have of our Lord:
The surety of his love, though we are flawed.
© 2014 S. J. Wickham.

No comments: